FEBRUARY 2013 ----------------------------
~ Barbara Nessim's solo exhibition, "Barbara Nessim: An Artful Life," provides an overview of the career of the American artist and designer Barbara Nessim, from the 1960s to the present day; Victoria & Albert Museum; London; 15 February 2013 – 19 May 2013. http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/b/barbara-nessim-an-artful-life/
~ Lin Emery received the 3rd Place Award at the first International Kinetic Art Exhibition & Symposium that was held in Boynton Beach, FL; Feb.8-10, 2013.
~ Cornelia Kavanagh delivered her pteropod sculptures to the Sant Ocean Hall of the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC, where they'll be on public display later this year.
~ Rachel Mayeri's 13-minute experimental film, PRIMATE CINEMA: APES AS FAMILY, will be premiering in Los Angeles as part of Bestiaire and Moving Stories at Cinefamily, 21-28 February, with an opening party on Friday the 22nd. http://www.rachelmayeri.com/projects/primate-cinema/
~ Christopher Janney's high-tech work, "HeartBeat," will be performed by the famed a capella group, The Persuasions, along with dancer Emily Coates and others, at the annual American Heart Association Greater Washington Region Heart Ball on Saturday, February 23, 2013 to be held in the National Building Museum in Washington, DC. www.janneysound.com
~ Ralfonso, kinetic artist and President of the international Kinetic Art Organization [KAO], co-produced an extremely successful first International Kinetic Art Exhibition & Symposium in Boynton Beach, FL in collaboration with the Boynton Beach Public Art Commission; Feb.8-10, 2013.
~ Alyce Santoro provides some links to webpages that document the Dialectic Revival series of four evenings held in conjunction with her recent NYC solo exhibition, "Philosoprops & Ontological Apparatus" at Klemens Gasser & Tanja Grunert. Visit: http://alycesantoro.blogspot.com and she recomends reading this article as a companion piece to the show: http://synergeticomnisolution.blogspot.com/2012/04/visible-invisible-and-indivisible.html
~ Mark Stock:
* his computational digital prints are featured in a solo show; 13FOREST Gallery, Arlington, Massachusettes; thru March 15, 2013. http://13forest.com/markjstock.shtml
*his recent piece, "CF_11_1179" was jurored into the 7th "Electronics Alive" exhibition of video, installation, and multimedia works from around the world, and a number of artist talks; Scarfone-Hartley Gallery, University of Tampa, Florida; thru Feb.23, 2013. http://ealive.utarts.com
~ Jennifer Monson's iLand performs "Live Dancing Archive" and interacting with a video installation; The Kitchen, NYC; February 21-23 at 8pm. http://www.thekitchen.org/event/343/0/1/
~ Eva Lee is happy to report that a Collector's Edition of her multimedia piece, Winter's Veil," along with two original drawings and a print, are now in the Connecticut Artists Collection, part of the state's Art in Public Spaces Program. In this experimental film, beneath a curtain of snow, an imaginary microscopic world emerges and transforms into other entities. I'd like to invite you to see it at http://vimeo.com/4388221
~ Erika Harrsch's 2-day performance in her mixed-media passport office installation, " The United States of North America," is a participatory passport project at The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, Ridgefield, Connecticut; February 23-24, 2013. http://www.aldrichart.org/events/?id=1675
~ Lincoln Schatz's project, "The Network," is being presented as a room installation of generative digital portraits of 89 American innovators, custom software, computer, LCD screen, and on-location set including wiring, cameras, etc; CONNERSMITH gallery, Washington, DC; thru March 30, 2013. http://www.connersmith.us.com/exhibitions/lincoln-schatz-the-network-benjamin-kelley-new-sculpture-coble-riley-projects-watermarks/#/images/1/
~ Susan Alexjander will be presenting her sound composition, FLUID, for: Colors of Water: A festival of art, science and music inspired by water, London, UK; March 13-28, 2013. http://www.i-sis.org.uk/coloursofwater/
~ Julian Voss-Andreae will be creating a large-scale sculpture for the new Center for Integrative Proteomics Research (Rutgers University, New Jersey). He will install his work, a 20' (6 m) tall sculpture based on the collagen structure and made from stainless steel and colored glass, in Fall 2013.
~ Laura Splan:
* will give Artist Lecture February 21, 2013 at 8:30pm in conjunction with the exhibition "Gone Viral: Medical Science and Contemporary Textile Art;" The Marion Art Gallery at SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia, NY; Open to the public. http://www.fredonia.edu/department/art/calendar_events.asp
* her "Blood Scarf" is included in the up-coming group exhibition, "Gone Viral..." [see above] http://www.laurasplan.com/projects/blood_scarf.html
* her piece, "Modular Systems" was selected for Dave Bown Projects 5th Semiannual Online Competition.
* her "Doilies (SARS, HIV, Herpes, Influenza, Hepadna)" series will be on view in "Handicraft: Material & Symbolism", Museum Kunst der Westküste, Fohr, Germany, Mar 3 - Aug 25, 2013. Splan will be present for the Exhibition Preview on March 2nd at 5pm. http://www.laurasplan.com/projects/doilies.html
~ Anna Dumitriu is:
* giving a workshop and talk at Genspace in New York City on 12th March 2013. http://annadumitriu.tumblr.com/post/41042766312/we-are-pleased-to-announce-that-anna-dumitriu-will
* exhibiting in "Gone Viral" [see Splan above] at SUNY Fredonia which opens on 8th March - 7th April 2013
* giving a talk on 7th March at The McEwen Hall 209, SUNY at 8:30pm see information here: http://annadumitriu.tumblr.com/post/39779538321/several-works-by-anna-dumitriu-will-be-exhibited
* she added more images from her recent Concordia University #fluxmedia workshop to her flickr photostream. http://lnkd.in/a85aiS
~ Amy Herzel:
* her works called "PseudO Pompous" were selected for the Los Angeles Center for Digital Art's "Snap to Grid" Jan2013 show.
* she has a solo show, "Meditations," at the Elm Street Gallery, Keller, Texas; February, 26 - April 21, 2013; Artist Reception: March 16, 2013 from 6-8pm. http://www.pseudopompous.com
~ Gary Kennard, Director of the Art & Mind events happening these days at GV Art London gallery, reports that he's received many positive comments about his new book, "Essays and Images" which launched at, and was published by, GV Art on 10 January and is now available directly from his website. http://www.garrykennard.com/writing/Home.html
~ Corinne Whittaker's online e-zine about art & culture February edition is at http://www.giraffe.com
~ Bobbie Mastrangelo joined Manhattan Arts International Online Gallery; Arts Consultant Renee Phillips selected "artists who demonstrate excellence in their chosen styles and mediums, and contributed to positive change in our world." http://www.manhattanarts.com/Gallery/Bobbi-Mastrangelo.html
JANUARY 2013 ---------------------------------
~ Alyce Santoro's first New York solo exhibition, "Philosoprops & Onotological Apparatus" is at the Klemens Gasser & Tanja Grunert Gallery; January 10 - February 16, 2013 http://www.alycesantoro.com/philosoprops.html
and she will be hosting a series of focused discussions in the spirit of a Dialectic Revival; Jan.19-22, 2013 at the gallery; details online at http://alycesantoro.blogspot.com/2013/01/
~ Karen Strom has begun to create 'weavings' from photographs of trees and buildings taken during a recent trip to Guatemala and Belize, and she has also published an interactive e-book, "Sticks and Stones, an Alphabet Book for the 21st Century," which serves both as social commentary and an introduction to ASCII code. http://sticksandstones.kstrom.com
~ Julian Voss-Andreae was chosen to create a large-scale public work for the new Physics and Nanotechnology Building of the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. He will install his work, featuring a male and a female monumental figure, in Fall 2013.
~ Susan Kaprov:
* her "Labyrinth Puzzle" was featured in the "100 x John: A Global Salute to John Cage" exhibition where it was converted to sound by Don Bosley; White Box gallery, NYC, on December 21, 2012. This work, part of a series of randomly-painted jigsaw puzzles, was an outgrowth of her long-term friendship with Cage. http://www.eartotheearth.org/john_e2e/e2e12_100xjohn_Dec21.html
* will be giving a talk on her work at MoMA in New York as part of their "Conversations with Contemporary Artists" series on Saturday, February 23, 2013 and will be followed by a special interactive jigsaw-puzzle project. http://www.moma.org/learn/kids_families/artist_talks
~ Steve Miller's solo show, "Health of the Planet," will include his inkjet and silkscreen on canvas works that utilize x-ray images that reveal a delicate interplay of flora and fauna; Galerie Rigassi, Bern, Switzerland; January 9 - February 27, 2013; opening January 9 from 6-8pm. www.galerierigassi.ch
~ Laura Splan's work has been selected for Dave Bown Projects - 5th Semiannual Competition by curators: Karl Hecksher, Andrea Karnes, Mary Kate O’Hare.
~ Art Murphy invites you to view some of his earliest art photos in his six-year project of capturing Devonian period fossils. http://artandfossils.wordpress.com/
~ Suzon Fukes is seeking your support of Water Matters! Cultural exchange & cross-discipline collaborations matter: please nominate Waterwheel for Ars Electronica Award - Digital Communities category:
* on twitter, just copy this: @prixars #communities nomination WATERWHEEL http://water-wheel.net/
* OR fill-out the form on this page http://prix.aec.at/nomination
~ Trish Adams will be showing her new work "Urban Swarming" [about urban honey bees] in the "Multispecies Intra-Action" exhibition curated by Madeleine Boyd and Dr. Eben Kerksey at Verge Gallery, Sydney this July 2013. http://intraactionart.wordpress.com
~ Ralfonso was grateful for his 2012 commissions for major installations in China:
* polished stainless steel, kinetic wind-sculpture “Cube Tower” (26ft, 8m tall without base) in the wonderful Changchun Sculpture Park in in the Jilin Province in Northeast China.
* "Union" wind sculpture (20ft, 6m tall) which was installed in the previous Autumn in the Changchun Sculpture Park, and a video of its action is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3b2zBvkvWM
* he was invited as a special commission artist for the second Liu Kaiqu Award International Sculpture Exhibition which was jointly sponsored by the China Sculpture Institute, China Academy of Art and Wuhu City Government. His kinetic, wind sculpture “Magic Tree” [in the shape of a huge finger-print] 6m (20ft), was permanently installed and finally unveiled at the Wuhu opening on October 27, 2012.
as president of the KAO [the Kinetic Art Organization] and together with the City of Boynton Beach, Florida, we are pleased to announce the 2013 KAO INTERNATIONAL KINETIC ART COMPETITION and the 2013 International Kinetic Art Exhibit and Symposium on Feb.8-10, 2013 in Boynton Beach, Florida, www.intlkineticartevent.org and very much invite you to join us there!
~ E.J. McAdams published a chapbook, TRANSECTs, on Sona Books in December 2012.
~ C.Bangs has two of her images in the new essay, "Stars That Wander, Are You Bright: Are Stars Conscious?" by Dr. Greg Matloff published on Baen Books online. http://www.baen.com/starsconscious.asp
~ Ellen Jantzen was honored that the Photomedia Center of Erie PA selected her as their first inductee in "Contemporary Imagemakers 2013". http://www.photomediacenter.org/contemporary-imagemakers/2013/1/21/ellen-jantzen-transplanting-reality-transforming-nature
~ Barrett Klein:
* will be presenting "Science of Art & Art of Science," a talk about mutual interests and inspirations of scientists and artists at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, 5pm on 15 February 2013 (corner of 16th and Vine Streets, La Crosse, WI).
* has just begun his new position as Assistant Professor of Animal Behavior, Dept. of Biology, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.
~ Robert Krawczyk:
* a series of his lasercut fabrications of musical scores was presented in the exhibition at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in San Diego, CA on January 9-12, 2013 in their Math and Art Gallery hosted by The Mathematical Association of America. http://gallery.bridgesmathart.org/exhibitions/
* he will be a featured speaker in the "ARTFUL SCIENCE" Session at the 2013 American Association for the Advancement of Science's Annual Meeting at the Haynes Convention Center; Feb.15th from 8:30 - 11:30am. http://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2013/