ENTRY DEADLINE: August 24, 2014
Send Entry Form, Entry Fees, and Email +jpg attachments -- on same day!
READ THE GUILDELINES below thoroughly before sending Your Entry.
[If you click the "print" icon in right-hand column, the website header and navigation columns will NOT be printed.]
SUBMIT ONLINE ENTRY FORM
Review the Form to see what is required before filling-out!
PAY ENTRY FEE(S) ONLINE
[$20 for first/or only image; $5 for each additional; maximum of 5; no checks!]
A friend can pay for you if they email us with Your Name/etc. via "asci[at]asci.org"
DIGITAL IMAGES OF ORIGINAL ARTWORKS:
For this exhibition we are displaying stunning digital images that document your artwork created in any media [digital prints, painting, animation, video, sculpture, installation, etc. [Only images appropriate for a "family audience." No explicit sexuality.]
YOUR IMAGE SUBMISSIONS: (1-5 images maximum)
- If you submit a "series," each individual image counts as an individual artwork in terms of Entry Fees. Series images will be hung together on the wall.
- JPG images will be deleted after Juror process, except those selected for the museum exhibition. Participating in the "SCIENCE INSPIRES ART: The BRAIN" exhibition automatically gives ASCI permission for the selected images to be permanently archived in the Online Exhibition at the ASCI website and exhibition blog.
=====FORMAT ENTRY IMAGES: JPGs only!=====
- SAVE IMAGES at: 72 pix/inch [Images not be sent to Jurors if saved at HIGHER resolution!]
- IMAGE SIZE: approx. 480 pixels x 650 pixels
[Your image before saving as JPG, may be up to 1MB. However, JPG will compress it... that will make it approximately 200-300K.]
- RESOLUTION: Save JPG at medium resolution 
- LABEL YOUR IMAGES:
Your "last name" should be the first word of your "jpg title"
*JPG SIZE TEST: When you attach your jpg(s) to your email, the title and KB size appear in the attachment area of the email. Make sure the size shown is approximately 200-300K each JPG.
=====HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR IMAGES=====
- ATTACH YOUR JPG IMAGES to 1-2 emails.
Keep the total images per/email to under 1MB... NO ZIPPED files!
Do NOT put image "info" in body of email. Put this on Your ENTRY FORM. [Step#2 above]
- YOUR EMAIL "SUBJECT LINE" should say:
[Your LastName , FirstName] - BRAIN exhibition
- SEND EMAILS WITH ATTCHED IMAGES to:
"asci [at] asci.org"
IF YOUR IMAGES ARE SELECTED:
The museum will be furnishing all of the exhibition frames in order to cut-down on this and higher shipping costs for the selected participants. They are museum quality, silver metal frames measuring 18" x 24" [45.7 cm x 61 cm] with a narrow edge, plexi, and a foamcore backing.
CREATE "SELF-MAT" BEFORE PRINTING:
Using your computer imaging program, you must create either a white or black area around the image as a "self-mat" before printing. A professional printer can do this for you if you don't know how.
SIZE OF YOUR PRINT PAPER: 18" X 24" [45.7 cm x 61 cm] Make a notation on back of your print [or attached paper] which is the "top" of the print if it is not obvious from the image.
LARGEST IMAGE SIZE = 17.75" X 23.75" [45.1 cm x 60.3 cm]. The frame has a 1/4" [1.9 cm] lip over the paper on all sides. Or, image can be same size as the paper.
SMALLEST IMAGE SIZE = 12" X 18" [30.5 cm x 45.7 cm]
SHIPPING YOUR PRINTED IMAGES:
- Artists/scientists are responsible for delivery/pick-up of artworks to/from the museum if you are local, OR you must pay costs of mailing tubes to/from museum. Use FedEx, DHL, or UPS for the cardboard mailing tubes.
- Digital prints should be shipped in a strong! cardboard tube with archival tissue or newsprint rolled to protect the surface of each print in the tube. [You may mail your print "flat" if you prefer.]
- Put Your Name & "Title of image" [+ make an "arrow" to mark TOP of image] on a paper fixed gently to backside of each print. [Only use low-adhesion tape!]
ARTWORKS MUST ARRIVE AT THE MUSEUM:
Between September 29 - October 3, 2014 [NOT BEFORE!]
Mike Lane, Director of Exhibit Dept.
The New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Queens, NY 11368-2950
1 718 699-0005 [ext.334]
Put phone# onto Shipping Label
INSURANCE IN TRANSIT:
Exhibition participants must pay for insurance of their artworks during transit to/from the museum. Most people use insurance of the shipping company [FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc].
If there is damage to or theft of your artwork while it is on display, the New York Hall of Science will pay for replacement cost of the materials [paper + ink] for you to re-print and for the shipping of new print back to the museum.
RETURN SHIPPING COSTS:
The museum will contact you soon after the show closes on March 29, 2015 to make arrangements; You pay the shipper via the museum.
Back to the INTRODUCTION page.