7th International Digital Print Open Competition/Exhibition
at the New York Hall of Science
October 1, 2005 – January 15, 2006
Reception: Sunday, October 2, 2-5 pm.
Organized by Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)
P R O S P E C T U S
AUGUST 1, 2005: Deadline for receipt of entries to ASCI
SEPTEMBER 1, 2005: Notification of Juror Selections [via email]
SEPTEMBER 24, 2005: Deadline for artworks to arrive at museum
OCTOBER 1, 2005: Opening of exhibition at New York Hall of Science
OCTOBER 1, 2005: Opening of online exhibition at ASCI website
OCTOBER 2, 2005: Opening Reception from 2-5pm
JANUARY 15, 2006: Exhibition closes at New York Hall of Science
Framed Digital Prints: [all artwork must be framed]
- Maximum size approx. 36” x 48”
[large size: also support at centers of frame];
- Print + frame cannot weigh more than 40 lbs. total;
- Use non-glare plexiglas or lexan if you are not delivering by hand;
- Include any special hanging mechanisms & instructions with artwork;
Shipping & Crating:
- Artists/scientists are responsible for delivery/pick-up of artworks to/from the museum if you are local OR you must pay shipping and crating costs.
- Wrap artworks in plastic and inside a reusable cardboard box [or crate] with reinforced/protected corners [even for local deliveries]. You or the shipping company are responsible for any damage during shipping.
- *We would prefer that you use UPS [United Parcel Service] as your shipper, or a professional art shipper.
*Return Shipping must be Pre-Paid: A “Pre-Paid” label from your shipper must be filled-out and placed inside an envelop and included with artwork when you are wrapping it before shipping to museum. [Artworks will NOT be displayed without receipt of Pre-Paid Return Shipping Label prior to the exhibition's opening.]
After your artworks have been framed,,,,
- COST OF REPLACEMENT of your digital print [print-only; not artist fee],
- cost of replacement of the frame,
- cost of crating and shipping. [one-way]
Artworks must arrive at museum: Between September 19 – 24, 2005
Mike Lane, Exhibit Dept.
The New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Corona Park, Queens
New York City 11368
1 718 699-0005 [ext.334]... Put this onto UPS Label too
Pick-Up artworks: Between January 19 – 24, 2006
Insurance: Artists and/or scientists must pay for insurance of their artworks during transit to/from the museum. Most people use insurance of the shipping company.
Museum Coverage: If there is damage or theft while the work is on display, then the New York Hall of Science will pay for replacement cost of the materials to create the print and/or frame.
Online Exhibition: The submitted jpg images of all Juror-selected artworks will be used to produce the Digital’05 online exhibition that documents the physical exhibition. The online exhibition will be Featured on ASCI’s website homepage for the length of the show [Oct.1 – Jan.15] and then will be permanently archived with free public access. Sending your artwork to the physical exhibition constitutes your permission for inclusion in the online exhibition too.
Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org [Put “DIGITAL’05” in the Subject Line]
Digital Output Media: Although most digital prints are on paper, we will accept various digital output media, including transparencies like Durotrans when used as part of a finished product such as a lightbox*.
*Lightbox Restrictions: Email email@example.com
3D digital prints are welcomed, but not more than 40 lbs. total weight.
Digital translations of: sound, mathematics, information data, etc. into digital prints are welcomed.
Selected Artists/Scientists Receive:
- Anticipated 100,000+ individuals & families will view your work at museum;
- Inclusion in a permanent Digital’05 online exhibition at ASCI's website; ASCI’s site receives approximately 35,000 visitors/per month;
- The exhibition will be announced to our 12,000+ art-sci colleagues list;
- Approximately 25 color exhibition announcement postcards;
- There will be a modest Opening Reception: Sunday, Oct.2nd, 2-5pm;
- We will try to interest other exhibition venues in traveling the show.
Digital Image-Making Process:
There must be computer manipulation or enhancement during the image-making process. "Straight photos" or digitized paintings printed with a digital printer are NOT acceptable.
Digital Image Specifications:
[Only artwork appropriate for a "family audience" will be considered. No explicit sexuality.]
- You may submit from 1-10 images;
- A "series" counts as individual artworks
in terms of Entry Fees... but will be hung
on the wall together];
- jpg images only will be accepted for
the Juror Selection process;
- Save image at 72 dpi resolution
[if not, juror will NOT review];
- jpg images no larger than 300K each;
- jpg images will be deleted after Juror process, except those selected for exhibition, which will be used for the online Digital’05 exhibition.
Entry Fees: $5.00 per digital image, maximum of 10 images.
Click here for:
ONLINE ENTRY FORM & PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Everyone must submit the Online Form!
Please print-out and keep
Prospectus & Entry Form
Thank-you for promoting our competition:
ASCI is a nonprofit organization that charges minimal fees to support the production of this exhibition and its future online exhibition in order to ensure the greatest opportunity of participation.
To ASCI homepage