- Kaz Maslanka's "Golden Fear" has been selected for the AMS-MAA Joint Mathematics Meeting Art Exhibit, American Mathematical Society and Mathematical Association of America, San Antonio, TX, January 12-15, 2006. The work was also Shown at the Renaissance Banff Show for Bridges Conference on Mathematical connections in Art Music and Architecture (August 2005).
- Bruce Wands gave a public lecture at the Beecher Center for Art & Technology on Wednesday, November 30. The lecture was titled "Digital Art: Present, Past, Future." http://www.brucewands.com
- Bobbi Mastrangelo takes her inspiration from manhole covers and other utility grates for her streetscapes series. A new sculpture, “Power of Four,” is represented at her website with the incorporation of the sound of winds from three hurricanes that tore through her home area. On exhibit at The Mills Pond House in St. James, NY thru Jan.2, 2006. http://bobbimastrangelo.com
- Roz Dimon will be showing “RESURRECTION: My Plant Has Died Again,” at The Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School (LREI) Invitational Art Auction, February 1st and 2nd at I-20 Gallery, 529 W. 20th, 11th Fl, NYC. These pieces and more can be seen at http://artstory.net/
- Corinne Whitaker’s December installment of her online Journal, The Digital Giraffe, is hot off the press. http://www.giraffe.com
- Leslie Hewitt is in a 3-person show, Being There, at the Chuchifrittos Art Gallery/Project Space, NYC [120 Essex St. between Delancey and Rivington…inside the Essex St. Food Market- south end of the building.] thru Feb.4, 2006
- Julie Newdoll will have three pieces in the Florence Biennale, Dec.3-11, 2005.
- Hilary Lorenz was recently interviewed by Snejana Faberov for an online newspaper.
- Robert J. Krawczyk's Spiral Mandala series has been selected for the Digital Art Competition, Beecher Center for Technology in the Arts, The Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, OH; exhibited November 30 to April 15, 2006 and the AMS-MAA Joint Mathematics Meeting Art Exhibit, American Mathematical Society and Mathematical Association of America, San Antonio, TX, January 12-15, 2006.
- Victor Acevedo will be a presenter at the "Synergetics in the Arts" Symposium on Nov.20, 2005 at 11am; the Noguchi Museum, NYC.[see Symposia above]
- Joshua Fried's recent works involves manipulating live radio, with a steering wheel, shoes and laptop, in two rather different situations: a play at La MaMa, and a Monday night showcase with the lovely Composers Collaborative,at Cornelia Street Cafe.
- Anna Dumitriu's launch event for the organization of The Institute of Unnecessary Research was held on Oct.29, 2005 in Brighton, UK, and was a huge success. There will be a website soon.
- Neva Setlow received the Doris Kreindler Memorial Award at the "All About Color" Exhibition sponsored by the American Society of Contemporary Artists. The exhibition was held at the Broome Street Gallery in SOHO, Nov. 1-13, 2005. The award jurors are curators from the Whitney Museum, Guggenheim Museum and Poughkeepsie Art Museum.
- DIGITAL'05: E X Q U I S I T E
ASCI's 7th Annual Digital Print Exhibition at The New York Hall of Science is on view October 1, 2005 - January 15, 2006; This year's Juror: Lynn Gamwell
Visit the Online Exhibition! & sign-up to be on mailing list for next year's competition.
- NEXT ASCI MEMBERS MEETING @ HUNTER COLLEGE:
DATE: Monday, November 7th - 7pm Sharp!
Details & Info about presenters...
- Lillian Ball's work is included in the New Media section of the exhibition, GROUNDWORKS: Environmental Collaboration in Contemporary Art, at the Regina Gouger Miller Gallery at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA; thru Dec.11, 2005. AND, she received a 2005 New York Foundation for the Arts grant in Computer Arts. She is currently working on interactive spacial installations and games inspired by an ongoing wetland preservation project. http://www.lillianball.com/ and
- Eva Lee has artwork included in the group exhibition, “Flow: Navigating the Super Paradigm,” Oct.15 (Opening 5-8pm) thru Nov.13 at Collaborative Concepts, Bulldog Studios, 211 Fishkill Ave (Entrance to CC on Verplank Ave.), Beacon, NY. http://www.maykr.com
- Bobbie Mastrangelo's work, “Attelboro Underfoot,” is featured in the annual Attleboro Arts Museum Auction, Attelboro, Vermont; now thru Nov.10, 2005. http://www.cmarket.com/catalog/itemDetail.do?ID=2c95088191ca3601205512817d1128ec&cate=
- Deena des Rioux exhibits 6 of her photo-based, computer-created robotic portraits are on exhibit in "Beyond Tomorrow" at the South Bend Regional Museum of Art, South Bend, Indiana, October 15, 2005 - January 8, 2006. http://www.sbrma.org/
- Abigail Doan has new work included in the following: 'Linari Autunno 2005'
http://AbigailDoan.NeoImages.net ; 'Exquisite', curated by Lynn Gamwell, The New York Hall of Science: /artikel708.html ; and Geumgang Nature Art Pre- Bienniale 2005 'About-From-For-Nature' http://www.yatoo.or.kr
- Hilary Lorenz's work from the past decade will be available during the DUMBO Arts Festival Open Studios; Oct. 15-16; etchings, woodcuts, lithographs, and photographs. Location: 68 Jay Street, DUMBO, Brooklyn, Studio 415. Previews by appt.only. Email her at email@example.com ; ALSO, her prints are included in the exhibition, "Dialogue: New York/Paris" at the Center for Book Arts, NYC; thru Dec. 3, 2005. Veiw her work at: http://www.hilarylorenz.com
- Lori Lejeune's digital print, "The Watcher," has recently been aquired by both the MexicArte Museum, and the Benson Collection at the University of Texas. http://www.studiolejeune.com
- Ellen Jantzen, an image from her "Artificial Evolution" series was chosen to create the cover art for a new publication, Mo+th. The journal is published by Bombshelter Press and is available on Amazon.com
- Anna Dumitriu will be a presenter at "Say AaH 2 Conference," an Arts & Health Initiative focusing on the Food Chain; October 26, 9am - 5pm; The Brighton Dome Corn Exchange, UK.
- Donna Marshall's solo exhibition "The Creation Game" will be at the Greenbelt Community Center, Greenbelt, Maryland. November 12-December 31. Donna will doing workshops integrating science ideas and art for children.
- Julie Newdoll's solo exhibition at the New York Hall of Science; Sept.17 - Oct.30, 2005. http://www.brushwithscience.com/NYHS/
- Julian Voss-Andreae's outdoor sculpture, “Heart of Steel (Hemoglobin)” is part of Lake Oswego, Oregon's Sulpture Invitational, will be unveiled Sept.21, 2005. http://www.JulianVossAndreae.com
- Alyce Santoro gave a presentation about her Sonic Fabric at the Opening Reception for the exhibition, "Emergent" at the Rhode Island School of Design. http://intranet.risd.edu/forum/forum_posts.asp?
- ROSS LEWIS solo exhibition, Shan-zi Series of epic-sized paintings [inspired by Chinese fan art], thru August 28th at The Dry Goods Ground Space Gallery, 41 Main Street, Livingston Manor, New York. 845-439-8029
- TONY BROOKS' article: "Enhanced Gesture Capture in Virtual Interactive Space (VIS) appears in the recent Volume 16, Number 1 / 2005. http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?id=
- ALYCE SANTORO was part of this year's Lincoln Center Out Of Doors Festival's Homemade Instrument Day; NYC. She also welcomes you to her new website: http://www.alycesantoro.com
- ERIC SINGER gave a GuitarBot Demonstration on August 14th at the Lincoln Center Out Of Doors Festival's Homemade Instrument Day; NYC.
- THOMAS BRIGGS had 3 works in the 2005 Siggraph Art Gallery, a juried exhibition in conjunction with the 2005 Siggraph convention, July 31 to August 4 2005. A subset of the exhibition, including Briggs' works will tour worldwide for two years.
- JOSHUA FRIED performed "Radio Wonderland" for the HOMEMADE INSTRUMENT DAY; Lincoln Center Out of Doors; Aug 14, 2005 in New York. http://wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/
- ANNA DUMITRIU has artwork included in the exhibition, "Mobile" at the Arena Gallery, Liverpool, UK; Aug.13-Sept.3, 2005. http://www.arena.uk.com
*her new sound/video work entitled "Mill Pond" is included in the Prog:ME Festival in Brazil. The piece is 16 minutes long. http://www.progme.org/
*Three of her digital prints from her "Normal Flora Series," based on microscopic
images of bacteria and moulds from the artists own home, were shown at
Siggraph'05 in Los Angeles. http://www.siggraph.org/s2005/
*A a solo exhibition of canvas prints, "Normal Flora Series," are on loan to Eastbourne Hospital, UK. http://www.esht.nhs.uk/art/index.htm
- ROBERT KRAWCZYK's series, Fermat's Spiral Mandala, was exhibited at the Bridges 2005 Conference Art Exhibit, Mathematical Connections in Art, Music, and Science, Banff Center of Art, Banff, Alberta, Canada, July 31 to August 3, 2005. http://www.mathartfun.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/
June / July 2005
- JONATHAN FELDSCHUH - solo exhibition "Simulations" at Cynthia Broan Gallery, NYC was featured in Nature Magazine, (June 30, p.1162).
- DENNIS MILLER launches new work: animations, music and still images. www.dennismiller.neu.edu
- CHRIS TWOMEY's artwork is included in:
* Jump in the Art – PooL Art Fair - New York – 2005; July 7-10, 2005
* Art In Odd Places (HOWL FESTIVAL); Aug.21-28, 2005; outdoor sculpture installed at Enchantment (1-8pm all week), 341 East 9th Street, NYC http://www.artinoddplaces.org
- MICHAEL WRIGHT is a guest artist at the SIGGRAPH 2005 Guerrilla Studio; Sunday July 31 thru Aug 4 at the Los Angeles Convention Center; and his artwork is included in the Synapse Exhibition held at the L.A.Center for Digital Art; and he co-moderates the SYNAPSE panel discussion at SIGGRAPH on Tuesday Aug 2, 10:00 am to 12:30 pm. [see Lectures above]
- BRUCE WANDS is on the SYNAPSE Panel at SIGGRAPH 2005 [see Lectures above]
- KENNETH HUFF [below is list of current activities]:
* Group exhibition at Van Brunt Gallery, Beacon, New York; 9 July through 1 August. http://www.vanbruntgallery.com/
* Artwork on cover of PULSE, a Hudson River Valley arts and entertainment weekly: http://www.pulsehv.com/
* SIGGRAPH 2005: Group exhibition & He will be giving at least one presentation at SIGGRAPH 2005. [last 4 artworks on this page] http://www.kennethahuff.com/Works/WorkGroup
* Contemplations Series of DVDs:
* Image in Computer Graphics World, June issue
- AMY IONE's new book: INNOVATION AND VISUALIZATION is the first in-detail account that relates the development of visual images to innovations in art, communication, scientific research and technological advance. The themes range from cognitive science to illuminated manuscripts and media studies. More information: http://www.rodopi.nl/functions/search.asp?BookId=CLA+1
- ALYCE SANTORO's sonic fabric was included in an article in NY's Village Voice online: http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0525,zappia,65136,15.html
- ROBERT KRAWCZYK - pieces from Strange Attractor series included in:
* "Patterns in Nature" digital online gallery,
part of "Art + Math = X" conference, starting June 5, 2005
* "Intersection" Art Exhibit at Studio Aiello, Denver, and the University of Colorado Art Gallery, Boulder; June 5 - August 5, 2005:
- BRANDON BALLENGEE's "Love Motel for Insects" is included in:
*10-11 June Exhibited in the "Waterways" curatorial project, Venice Biennale
*17 June- 30 July
Exhibited at Kunstverein Ingolstadt, Ingolstadt, Germany
- ALYCE SANTORO's "Sonic Fabric" was in the New York Times, May 1, 2005.
- JONATHAN FELDSCHUH - "Simulations", paintings based on scientific imagery. June 9 - July 9, Opening reception: June 9, 6-9 pm. CYNTHIA BROAN GALLERY, 546 W. 29TH ST. NYC, http://www.cynthiabroan.com,
- DAN BASILA's music-play, "Holes Before Bedtime," riffs on the biological phenomenon fetus-a-fetu, as seen through the eyes of a child whose body contains many, including twins. It will be presented June 3-18 at the Vortex Repertory Theatre in Austin, TX. www.vortexrep.org
- BARBARA ROUX's invasive vine installation will be part of a group show titled "Human-Nature," at The Front Room in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and exhibit runs from June 5, 2005. http://www.frontroom.org AND... Barbara is a featured photographer/ writer in the Affinity Newsletter-Ecological Art in their Earth Day 2005 issue "Fifth Season". http://www.ecologicalart.org
- NEVA SETLOW's sculpture has been accepted to "The Art of the Northeast 2005." The juror was Elizabeth Smith chief curator at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. The exhibition opens May 6-June 10 at the Silvermine Guild of Artists in Connecticut.
- ANNA DUMUTRIU's "Struck Dumb," an enhanced DV still image of my vocal chords made using an endoscope was included in ArCade IV at The State Museum in Novorsibirsk, Siberia, Russia in April 2005; AND... Three images from her "X and Y" series is included in the "ZerosandOnes" exhibition at Fairfields Arts Centre in Basingstoke, UK http://www.fairfields.org
- BOBBIE MASTRANGELO's "Three Sewer Hitter" won first prize in sculpture at the Osceola Center for the Arts' Juried Exhibition: April 2005.
- KENNETH HUFF's work appears in a one-person exhibition, "Organic Constructions", at the Pinnacle Gallery at Savannah College of Art and Design, continuing through 21 May. Print, sculpture and time-based works are being shown. Ken will give a public lecture on 15 May at the Art Center Sarasota and will be presenting at the Subtle Technologies Festival in Toronto, 26-29 May. For more information: http://www.kennethahuff.com/Events/
- AMY IONE's Innovation and Visualization was published in April as the first volume in Rodopi’s Consciousness, Literature, and the Arts series. It will be launched at a conference at the University of Wales Aberystwyth (May 6-9). Information about the book is available at http://www.rodopi.nl/functions/
search.asp?BookId=CLA+1 AND, she is an invited speaker at The Mansell Bequest Symposium, The NEUROLOGY OF PAINTING, sponsored by the Medical Society of London; May 23 - 24, 2005.
- GAYIL NALL's "HEMISPHERES I" (Round Version) is on view at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner, thru May 22, 2005.
February / March 2005
- DEBRA SWACK has been awarded a co-production grant for "95 Chimes" (a digital sound sculpture/installation) which relates string theory to music and the origin of matter through its emotive and spiritual essence at Banff Center for the Arts in September 2005. 95 Chimes" was mentioned in the May 2003 NY Arts article "SCI-ART- It's all in the GUT (Grand Unified Theory)" by Mina Cheon and also in Stephen Wilson's book "Information Arts" (MIT Press 2003).
- STEVEN J. OSCHERWITZ will have his Artist Statement, "Art/Technoscience Engages Cancer Research," published in the February'05 issue of the Leonardo Journal. Steven's paintings have been exhibited at The Art Institute of Chicago, and The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- ROBERT PERLESS' "Sun Dagger," the first major sculpture which acts as a sundial and celestial observatory, has been installed at Utah Valley State College in Heber City, Utah. http://www.perless.com/sundagger.html
- PATRICK LICHTY's networked installations in distributed performance and virtual reality build off of his GRID installations. http://www.voyd.com His up-coming activities include:
2/12-3/14: Hydriotaphia: New Orleans Artists Design Their Own Funeral Urns,
Barristers Ballery, New Orleans
2/16 - SUNY Buffalo (via IChat) Institute for Distributed Creativity, Talk
on distributed culture and education
2/17-19 College Art Assn, Atlanta
2/23 - Cleveland Museum of Art (with Saul Ostrow, Michael Rees, Joseph
Nechvatal, and Shirley Kaneda) - Panel - on convergences of the digital and
March - Eyebeam Museum Guest ReBlogger, NYC
- BENOIT MAUBREY performs with "die Audio Gruppe" at Location One, NYC; February 18th, at 8 PM and has recently performed at Video In Studios, Vancouver February 14. http://www.location1.org
- IRENE MOON has an installation piece, What Business Are You In?, at The Contemporary, Atlanta, GA. http://www.thecontemporary.org
- MARK CONIGLIO has created some unique new tools for real-time, interactive
performance works. http://www.troikatronix.com/products.html
- CORINNE WHITAKER's online publication is The Digital Giraffe http://www.giraffe.com
- CAROL PFEFER's new website is at http://www.carolpfeffer.com
- BENOIT MAUBREY - the Electronic Guy (guitar, sampler, electroacoustic Jacket, solar radio). Video In Studios, Vancouver February 14th 8 PM
infos: http://www.videoinstudios.com AND @ Location 1, NYC February 18th 8 PM
- CHERYL SAFREN's SOLO EXHIBITION: Chemistry on Copper will be at the Discovery Museum, 4450 Park Avenue, Bridgeport, CT; Feb.6-April 15, 2005. http://www.discoverymuseum.org/exhibits/index.html
- ALYCE SANTORO's "sonic fabric" in Phish performance [see Exhibitions above]
- GUY MARSDEN's work is included in two shows [see "Light in the Dark" and "Plugged In" under Exhibitions above].
- BOBBI MASTRANGELO's highly embossed paper prints inspired the metal grates of street manhole covers appeared at the Attleboro, MA, Industrial Museum; Sept'04 in exhibit entitled "Underfoot: Manholes and Other Covers." For National Post Card Week (the first week in May) Bobbi issues a professionally printed photo version of one of her trompe l'oeil relief works. For more information firstname.lastname@example.org
- CORINNE WHITAKER publishes the January issue of her online publication, The Digital Giraffe http://www.giraffe.com