17th international art-sci juried exhibition
organized by Art & Science Collaborations, Inc.
to be held at the New York Hall of Science
October 10, 2015 - February 28, 2016
NOTE! We have increased the allowable size and resolution for your Entry Images. See below.
August 23rd........ Entry Deadline [correct date!]
September 1....... Juror Selections Announced
Sept.28 - Oct.5... Museum accepts artworks
Oct. 10, 2015..... Exhibition Opens
Feb.28, 2016...... Exhibition Closes
TBA.................... Artist Reception
THERE ARE 3 STEPS TO TAKE:
Send Entry Form, Entry Fees, and Email +jpg attachments on same day!
READ THE GUILDELINES (below) before sending Your Entry. [If you click the "print" icon in right-hand column, the website header and navigation columns will NOT be printed.]
SUBMIT ENTRY FORM INFO (click)
PAY ENTRY FEE(S) ONLINE (click)
$30 for first image; $5 for each additional; maximum of 5 images; no checks! A friend can pay for you if they email us with Your Name/etc. via "asci[at]asci.org"
DIGITAL IMAGES OF ORIGINAL ARTWORKS:
For this exhibition we are displaying stunning digital images of your artwork created in any media: digital prints, painting, still images from animation and video, sculpture, installation, etc. [Only images appropriate for a "family audience." No explicit sexuality.]
YOUR IMAGE SUBMISSIONS: (1-5 images maximum)
- If you submit a "series," each individual image counts as an individual artwork in terms of Entry Fees. Series images will be hung together on the wall.
- JPG images will be deleted after Juror process, except those selected for the museum exhibition. Participating in the "SCIENCE INSPIRES ART: Biodiversity/Extinction" exhibition automatically gives ASCI permission for the selected images to be permanently archived in the Online Exhibition at the ASCI website and posted on ASCI's Facebook Page if selected.
FORMAT OF ENTRY IMAGES: JPGs only!
- IMAGE RESOLUTION: save images at 120 pix/inch at MEDIUM resolution [Images will not be sent to Jurors if saved at HIGHER resolution!]
- IMAGE SIZE: approx. 600 pixels x 800 pixels
Your image before saving as JPG, may be up to 1MB. However, JPG will compress it... that will make it approximately 300-500K.
- LABEL YOUR IMAGES:
Your "last name" should be the first word of your "jpg title"
*JPG SIZE TEST: When you attach your jpg(s) to your email, the title and KB size appear in the attachment area of the email. Make sure the size shown is approximately 300-500K each JPG.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR IMAGES
- ATTACH YOUR JPG IMAGES to 1-2 emails.
Keep the total images per/email to under 1MB. Do NOT put image "info" in the body of that email. Image info goes onto Your ENTRY FORM. [Step#2 above]
- YOUR EMAIL "SUBJECT LINE" should say:
[Your LastName , FirstName] - "Biodiversity/Extinction" exhibition
- SEND EMAILS WITH ATTCHED IMAGES to:
"asci [at] asci.org"
IF YOUR IMAGES ARE SELECTED:
The museum will be furnishing all of the exhibition frames in order to cut-down on this and higher shipping costs for the selected participants. They are museum quality, silver metal frames measuring 18" x 24" [45.7 cm x 61 cm] with a narrow edge, plexi, and a foamcore backing.
CREATE "SELF-MAT" BEFORE PRINTING:
Using your computer imaging program, you must create either a white or black area around the image as a "self-mat" before printing. A professional printer can do this for you if you don't know how.
SIZE OF YOUR PRINT PAPER: 18" X 24" [45.7 cm x 61 cm] Make a notation on back of your print [or attached paper] which is the "top" of the print if it is not obvious from the image.
LARGEST IMAGE SIZE = 17.75" X 23.75" [45.1 cm x 60.3 cm]. The frame has a 1/4" [1.9 cm] lip over the paper on all sides. Or, image can be same size as the paper.
SMALLEST IMAGE SIZE = 12" X 18" [30.5 cm x 45.7 cm]
SHIPPING YOUR PRINTED IMAGES:
- Artists/scientists are responsible for delivery/pick-up of artworks to/from the museum if you are local, OR you must pay costs of mailing tubes to/from museum. Use FedEx, DHL, or UPS for the cardboard mailing tubes.
- Digital prints should be shipped in a strong! cardboard tube with archival tissue or newsprint rolled to protect the surface of each print in the tube. [You may mail your print "flat" if you prefer.]
- Put Your Name & "Title of image" [+ make an "arrow" to mark TOP of image] on a paper fixed gently to backside of each print. [Only use low-adhesion tape!]
ARTWORKS MUST ARRIVE AT THE MUSEUM:
Between September 28 - October 5, 2015 [NOT BEFORE!]
Mike Lane, Director of Exhibit Dept.
The New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Queens, NY 11368-2950
1 718 699-0005 [ext.334]
Put phone# onto Shipping Label
INSURANCE IN TRANSIT:
Exhibition participants must pay for insurance of their artworks during transit to/from the museum. Most people use insurance of the shipping company [FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc].
If there is damage to or theft of your artwork while it is on display, the New York Hall of Science will pay for replacement cost of the materials [paper + ink] for you to re-print and for the shipping of new print back to the museum.
RETURN SHIPPING COSTS:
The museum will contact you soon after the show closes on February 28, 2016 to make arrangements; You pay the shipper via the museum.
back to the INTRODUCTION page